I recently landed a new job! Not only do I enjoy it, it pays better than any job I’ve had before! It is nice to have a steady pay check (again). With this new-found money, I have quite a few things that I want to buy…so I figured I’d give you an insight into my life as I list my top 5 things.
1. Clothing. I have been in dire need of a wardrobe update. I moved back to USA from Korea about a year and ago. All of my belongings (clothes, shoes, a few souvenirs) were stuffed into a suitcase and a carry-on travel backpack. I didn’t have any clothes waiting for me in the States either. That was, literally, all the clothing I owned. Once I got a job, I realized I needed a few more articles of clothing to fill out my wardrobe to look ‘presentable’ according to their ‘business casual’ standards. It meant shopping clearance, at discount stores, and at Goodwill. (Don’t knock Goodwill–I got Express and Eddie Bauer shirts there for less than $10 each.) So, while, I filled up my closet a little bit (I still own less clothing than most guys I know), there are a lot of articles of clothing I don’t actually want to wear. My plan is to donate what I don’t like wearing/doesn’t fit that well and actually have a better wardrobe.
2. A new gaming computer. So, for those that don’t know, I love to play computer games but I didn’t have the greatest computer while I was in Korea. My laptop had a graphics card, but it would still struggle to keep up if the graphics were not set to minimum settings. I bought a better (more expensive) laptop with a better graphics card. It is great for light gaming but I am ready to step it up a notch. Now that I’m back in the states and likely to set up shop here for a few years, it is time to invest in (another) gaming desktop. This is going to be my most expensive purchase, and I am STOKED.
3. A juicer. I had a blender in Korea and I bought another cheap blender when I returned to the states. I also bought a juice/smoothie book a while ago and a lot of the blended drinks sounded way more healthy and tastier than the smoothies. My friend has a juicer, and he let me try some of his (mostly vegetable) juice. Needless to say, I am convinced that I need a juicer. I SUCK at eating enough vegetables in a day and drinking them in these concoctions is going to be my diet saver. This purchase needs to happen..like now.
4. A new phone. I bought a phone in Korea almost three summers ago and I only stopped using it about six months ago. I stopped for two reasons: (1) my SIM card didn’t like to access the internet with that phone and (2) I dated a guy who gave me a free HTC Amaze 4G phone that connected better to the internet than my Korean phone. While it’s been nice having this phone…it’s definitely no prize. It doesn’t like to read my memory card 100% of the time and it’s been crashing lately. I can postpone this purchase for a while, but I would like a new one.
5. Glasses. I’m thinking it might be time for a new pair. It has been almost two years now and I am not a huge fan of my current pair. I brought two pairs with me from Korea, but stepped on (and subsequently broke) my preferred pair of glasses last summer. While my glasses work okay, I would like to double check my prescription and see about getting a pair that I think are a bit more flattering. I think I will wait to see if I get any vision benefits once I get hired as a permanent employee. (I’m currently on a temp-to-hire contract.)